Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad 2014
Matthew Turner Wrote:Andy,
That is actually a rather good question!

I would like to play in an Olympiad because I think it is a great experience for any chess player to do so. I am sure that there are any number of nations that I could switch allegiance to in order to do this (small countries who just want the strongest team they can get), so why am I bothering with Scotland? Well, relatives from both sides of my family come from Scotland, I feel very at home in Scotland, I like the majority of Scottish chess players and I approve of what ChessScotland generally tries to do.

I an not sure if I was supposed to give an answer reciting Rabbie Burns and invoking the spirit of Bannockburn, but there is the simple truth.

Matt

Thanks for the honesty Matt! An intimate knowledge of Burns isn't required - iirc I mentioned to Jonathan Rowson once that his Burns quote (in '7 Deadly Chess Sins' I think?!) was wrong, and he said his mum would be mortified as she taught Burn's work in school!

The problem, as I see it, is that allowing 'non-Scots' in so easily would displace those who are working very hard to improve and make the international team. As an example, would it help Scottish chess if you and/or Andrew Greet were to be picked and perhaps Alan Tate is left out?
So Alan works harder, improves more, and then still doesn't make the team because, meanwhile, e.g. Arkady Naiditsch decides he also wants to play and represent Scotland as he has fallen out with his federation, taken a job in Scotland, whatever?

I know this has happened in many countries, and I don't want you to think I am some kind of fervent nationalist who can't see the positives in welcoming non-Scots into the fold (far from it) but I am genuinely interested in what others think of this particular situation.

What exactly is the point of international competition (between nations!) if it becomes in reality a simple 'team' competition like the European Club Cup?

Messages In This Thread