Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tromso Olympiad 2014
Without wishing to go over old ground. It seems to me that there is no reason to decline anyone the right to play under SCO for FIDE purposes. After all, that is what would have happened had I put Scottish when I entered my first FIDE tournament. Equally, I could have put Belgian, Nigerian, Israeli or any other Nationality that I fancied.
Then there is a totally separate issue of who is eligible to play for the Scottish team. It seems entirely appropriate that a national federation will set rules on who is eligible. Since this is an important issue there may be quite fierce disagreements, but lets not lose sight that the rules are put in place to do the best for Scottish Chess which is what we all want.
To reiterate, I would like to represent the Scottish team one day, but I fully accept that the rules at present do not allow me to do so. I am in no way seeking to change those rules. I have also said that if the rules were to be changed I would only play with the agreement of the rest of the team.
I hope that is clear.
Matt

Messages In This Thread