Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2
Phil Thomas wrote,
"I used to play of lot of correspondence chess. The opponents, in general, suddenly became much stronger when powerful chess engines became affordable. I surmise from Andy Muir's post that he may have had similar experiences around the same time. Adequate supervision is essential.

Let me ask all the readers a direct question. How would you feel if Boris Ivanov entered your section but revealed at the last minute that he wasn't able to leave Bulgaria to attend?"

I am sure many people would have a similar reaction, but think about it. Consulting computers is not against the rules in correspondence, so I am not sure that yours and others experience in correspondence has anything to do with the current proposals.
If Boris Ivanov entered my section I would be worried he might cheat, but that would be the same if he played at the venue or remotely. I think you need to trust that the vast majority of players will play fairly and have procedures for those who cheat, but again I don't think remote playing need bring huge extra challenges or regulations.

Messages In This Thread