Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2
Mike, Thanks for the good challenges.
The technology is there to play over the internet with a clock and works well even for blitz games. I am mindful however that not everyone likes to play on a computer and I wish to retain as much of the playing live experience as possible. I have tried to model the proposal to something similar to playing games against players using a braille board. This is already accepted practice in congress halls. The only difference the player in the congress hall will notice compared to a typical congress game is that the player opposite will record moves on an Ipad instead of noting on a score sheet.
The remote player will be disadvantaged by the clock and the issue will I am sure be debate at length by the working party. The involvement of two intermediate bodies are the greatest challenge and the area that will require the greatest scrutiny. e.g.What if one of the volunteers misses a move and allows the clock to run on?
Sometimes life is unfair and the remote player may have to decide if the time control inconvenience is greater than the travel and time required to participate at the main venue.
As time goes by and if remote play becomes the norm in the congress environment it may be agreed to play remote games directly between two players computer to computer. I hope the phantom boards shown on the motions YouTube clip come first though. =)

Messages In This Thread