Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2
Matthew Turner Wrote:Let me give you an example, 2 players from the Shetlands Isles wish to participate in the Major Tournament at the Ayr Congress. We could say that they have to travel several days to get to Ayr or we could look at the possibility that they play their matches at the local community centre where the Internet connection will be fantastic.
Matthew -

This sort of scenario would indeed benefit from such a step, but, fantastic internet or not, reliable arrangements would still have to be in place at both ends for the weekend.

Slightly off-topic, but I was thinking about it the other way around. Why don't some of the 'remote' enthusiasts try to organise a weekend congress, then they would be the ones who were local! Not as ridiculous as it sounds. A GM/IM tournament took place in Stornoway in 1995, and enthusiasts there organised a very successful simul by Keti back in June, so it looks like the will is there. Personally I would jump at the chance to play in, say, a Stornoway or Lerwick Open. Be an ideal excuse to visit!

BTW, not saying that the North-East is remote, but given the little hotbed of chess activity up there, whatever happened to the Aberdeen Congresses? Resuscitating that would be an ideal way for players in the area to play on their home turf.

Messages In This Thread