Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2
I understood the motion on remote players to give players the opportunity to participate in events where travel was impossible or impractical (not merely very time consuming or expensive). It seems to me appropriate to consider two scenarios for allowing players to play remotely

1. Their home is so remote as to make travel impossible (possibly only at certain times of the year)
2. They have a recognised disability that prevents travel

Let me give you an example, 2 players from the Shetlands Isles wish to participate in the Major Tournament at the Ayr Congress. We could say that they have to travel several days to get to Ayr or we could look at the possibility that they play their matches at the local community centre where the Internet connection will be fantastic. Of course they might collude and decide to cheat to take home the fabulous prizes on offer, but how likely is this really? What is the bigger picture?

Bringing opportunities to disabled and remote players is great publicity and it must open the way for various social inclusion grants. There are a lot of obstacles to overcome but lets look at the possibilities and lets get the balance right between regulation and trust so that if proposals come forward they are actually workable.

Messages In This Thread