Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has changed in school chess?
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Look at what Michael Hanley is doing, for instance. If CS had 50 Michael Hanley's strategically located around the country then Chess would be being played by thousands of school children across the country who currently aren't playing it

I agree totally, the number of hours he puts in is frightening. I asked Michael ( as others should) what the problem is and got the impression that the structure of secondary schools was one of the main problems Primary schools are an excellent base and doesn't require an in situ teacher but chess clubs in secondary schools require a teacher present when conducting clubs. I only put in one hour per week at a primary school but still manage to get around 36 kids to attend . I personally think a two pronged approach to secondary schools, one from the local chess clubs and the other from Chess Scotland on a national basis indicating at least where the local clubs are (most secondary schools aren't even aware of where the local chess clubs are) would solve most of theses issues. I also think the keenness of chess clubs breaking up early for the summer doesn't help (as soon as the leagues finish) I remember running such a junior club over the summer years ago was a resounding success at Carluke Chess Club

I produced a document indicating a personal opinion of Scottish Chess and what can be done to improve the system. If anyone wants a copy then please let me know and I'll send over a copy for discussion

Messages In This Thread