Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
Well done, Alex ... but where in "Cathedral Street"?

Trust it's not in the vast crater recently created there last June/July, where the last remaining buildings of the old Allan Glen's School were finally demolished!! Strachclyde university (site owners) allowed invited groups to tour the building just before it went into oblivion ... I turned my invite down.

Older folk will know of the old Allan Glen's School links with chess, going back to the 1960s (the school itself eventually closed in the 1970s). Sounds like the old boys ought to enter the Commonwealth Champs next year and have a great chess reunion (sadly there were no "old" girls in this quaintly all-boys institution, except for a very late last decade or so in its 100 year history, when it went comprehensive).

The old school could still be pretty competitive these days, too. In chronologically descending order and only selecting perhaps the best-known and still very active names, we could turn out: Eddie Davis, myself, Alan Scrimgour, Roddy McKay, Stephen Swanson and Walter Buchanan (plus a great "bench", believe me).

Great venue!

Messages In This Thread