Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laws of Chess
David - doing nothing about phones etc is not an option. 11.6 states that one of the penalties mentioned by Andy must be applied. A warning is the minimum.
More worryingly 11.7 states that constant refusal to obey leads to a loss. I can easily argue that being warned on Friday, Saturday and Sunday is acceptable but can you simply warn someone for ALL nine days of the Scottish?

In any case one other penalty is to fine people. Can I suggest that this might be a better option. At £1 per event this could be used to support a charity, the SJCA Educational Trust comes to mind, to fund-raise for new equipment or to support the Scottish teams. I imagine this could raise between £40 and £100 per event.

The suggestion of having boxes to deposit the phones and computers in is just not practical. Not only are there insurance and security issues but there is also the problem of transporting the boxes around. I can imagine several cars being required just to ferry the boxes to and from a congress.

With regard to banning parents and other spectators, this used to be done in events in England. The first time I saw this was at the British in Edinburgh in '85 when a section of the hall was roped off for the younger events.
I don't see this being widely applied by arbiters in Scotland.

Messages In This Thread