Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson and Spens 2013-14
My thoughts and position on these matters are pretty much the same as Hamish's.

I have certain personal goals I would like to reach in chess, one of which is to attain the FM title at 2300 FIDE-rating and also perhaps sneak a spot in a Scotland team at some point.

However, there are very few opportunities within Scotland to play FIDE-rated games - those there are can be quite time-consuming/expensive (Scottish Champs for example) which means that I would have to juggle/mix family holidays with cheaper overseas events. I feel that the Scottish events where conditions are good should certainly consider the idea, and the Richardson ought to be FIDE-rated as a matter of principle.

I get the feeling that those against it (generally the higher-rated/titled players in Scotland) don't mind losing points abroad in tournaments but don't want to lose them to those who might be challenging their position for Scottish selection!
Of course, they may have other reasons, but those we have read on here seem to change like the wind! '2 game a day in 4NCL? Shouldn't be fide-rated, too quick and can't prepare', '1 game at a good time-control in Richardson? Errr, shouldn't be FIDE-rated, don't have a reason why!'

The 50-point rule is absurd and inequitable of course, as Hamish's example shows.
Almost all those who have argued in favour of it continually bring up Olympiad/4NCL, etc. as examples of board order flexibility in big, prestigious events...but they never add that pairings are displayed prior to the match taking place which allows for equal preparation if you so choose.

Anyhoo...so far there has been a shocking lack of acrimony in this thread! Has the whole of Hamilton gone 'Doon the Water' for their hols? Tongue

Messages In This Thread