Poll: Would you be interested in playing in this chess festival?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I am over 1800 and would be very interested in playing in Group B
57.69%
15 57.69%
I am under 1800 and would be very interested in playing in Group C
19.23%
5 19.23%
No I am not interested (please comment why thanks Smile )
23.08%
6 23.08%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Winter Chess Festival
From my understanding tournament is pretty much as follow:

Idea is to have a closed all play all to generate norm opportunities for a few 2200+. To do that you need to have enough GMs/IMs and for the it costs money.

Initial idea was to have a lower section(s) that would help offset costs. Then it was to get norm aspirants to contribute.

If primary aim is the closed open would it not also be possible to see if there is any potential for sponsorship. It might require extra work both getting sponsors and then running it in a way that gives sponsors publicity but since a lot of arguments have been financial that is an approach that can be considered. Depending on how successful that is then lower events might not even be needed or would simply be used to bolster prizes/lower entry fees.

Other thing that can be considered is whether dates selected increase or decrease entry level. On the one hand students etc can make dates quite easily. On the other hand anyone that has to work over xmas/new year break (most places give xmas, boxing day, new year's day and 2nd if following scottish holidays with rest depending on coverage) may find it difficult to get all those days off from work. Some people also visit family etc during that time.

As an additional thought would something like this be easier or harder to organise close to commonwealth games since I would assume that a lot of strong players should be in scotland at around that time.

I personally hope idea works out but don't really consider myself part of target demographic for tournament so it's more altruistic thoughts on good of chess in scotland that anything for myself

Messages In This Thread