Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Election Results
I note from earlier in this topic and I agree that proxy votes need to be looked at and will be interested to see what the Working Party proposes. I have opted to show how I voted in the particularly controversial vote for the International Director and to get some discussion going on how proxy votes could look going forward.

In the first vote pertaining to Andy I voted against him as I felt when asked about his conduct he was not contrite and his answer was a little arrogant. I used my own personal vote and two proxys who I had discussed the elections/motions at length with and were comfortable for me to vote that way. My remaining proxys (nine) were not used to vote against Andy. I effectively abstained with these votes.

Subsequently, in the second vote after the break for lunch I voted in favour of Andy after he had given an answer where I felt he was contrite and he would improve his future conduct. I also feel that everyone should have a second chance and Andy had done enough to convince me that he had learnt from his mistakes. I voted in favour of his candidacy personally and with the eleven proxy votes I had been entrusted.

In terms of the proxy votes I held: four were for clubmates who could not attend, five from close friends from Ayrshire, Stirling and England who could not attend and one affiliate vote for the Ayrshire Chess Association who asked me to represent them and one club vote for Stewarton Chess Club who also asked me to represent them. Three of the proxy votes were prescriptive where I was instructed how to vote and the remainder were open where the votee had specified in writing that I could vote on their behalf on all matters.

I have also produced a document summarising the AGM from my perspective that I will be sending to each individual/organisation that entrusted me with their vote.

Edit to add: I am not suggesting everyone in attendance at the AGM discloses how they voted with their proxies but I have shown how I voted on this issue and it can be used as an illustrative example for discussion.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread