Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Candidates
It may not be my place but having followed chess scotland agm etc I have to admit that I'm starting to get quite concerned about the state of chess in scotland. I'm not really into any chess politics and as far as I'm concerned only things that I consider important from a personal viewpoint are that congresses can continue to be organised and that yearly grading is carried out. Being a member of chess scotland also helps with FIDE ratings.

I've no idea how long this has been festering but it seems like several active people have been flinging mud at each other and to be honest I don't think either side comes off well at end of it. To make matters worse it seems that half the fights concern issues that have been covered up or are confidential so that any neutral third party can see little else other than open hostility and glimmers of facts/opinions. Unfortunately as it's constantly being brought up efforts to cover it up probably ends up closer to Streisand effect and as incidents don't seem to be getting dealt with to satisfaction of both sides I'm unsure we've got an end in sight. I'm probably overly cynical but I tend to get suspicious and paranoid when things are covered up so while I'm completely ignorant of facts I'm not exactly reassured...

All this infighting to me seems rather toxic and if someone was considering funding chess in scotland they'd flee in an instant after browsing here. Admittedly I don't know all the facts and what I know is guesswork, although if I understand correctly most of problematic issues were things that were previously dealt with by SJCA. If reversing 2001 merger means problems are quarantined it might already be a start.

I'll be perfectly honest and say that I do not want to go to AGM. However I am unsure if I should actually come if things are as bad as they seem and even then I don't know if my presence would help in slightest. I'll also note that it's a shame we're having all this trouble since in other aspects scottish chess has actually done very good work such as getting commonwealth games, strong scottish championships, scottish blitz etc so it's a shame that good work is getting overshadowed. Hopefully at end of AGM whoever is elected will help bring about harmony and stability into game while being inclusive of all factions.

Messages In This Thread