Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last round game W Buchanan v A Muir
hamish olson Wrote:Wasn't quite obvious to me that rook ending after Rb2 was drawn once the white rook got behind the a-pawn but I'm trying to compare it from memory with that alekhine-capablanca game with alekhine not having the mangled pawns and I think he needed to make progress on the kingside which I can't really see white doing...

Hi Hamish Yes that was my thinking but you might still be right - I'm not 100% sure because after tying up the Black pieces by threatening to queen the a-pawn, Alekhine got in amongst the K-side pawns with his King. This could conceivably work even with mangled pawns, but it took a long time (it was the title clincher and Capablanca put up a real fight) and I think the winning margin was small. The other reason I felt it had to be drawn was a similar ending where Botvinnik was defending against Borisenko and he managed to draw. Although it's supposed to be win with the rook behind it's passed pawn, he found a way to creat counterplay. Commenting on the ending Smyslov and Levenfish only said Borisenko had 'good winning chances'. Ive never got round to checking out what the difference is but I feel the mangled pawns should swing it. Not realy an excuse for presenting my opinion as fact as I'm not a journalist Big Grin Feel free to post any interesting games or situations, interest trumps quality at least that's my excuse ..

Messages In This Thread