Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
Alan Jelfs Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:
Craig Pritchett Wrote:Just seen this thread. I also found the Chess Base article puzzling. But then, I thought, wasn't the 2013 event "completely" open, i.e. it included some players who were NOT members of Commonwealth countries!?

I believe Glasgow is to host an (open) event next year that is "solely" open (for the first time for a while!?) to players who are actually from Commonwealth countries. Perhaps Alex could confirm.

That would make sense Craig. It hadn't occurred to me precisely because, as you say, it has been completely open for several years now. I imagine that limiting it to commonwealth countries might have an impact on its viability though?

As far as I can make out, there were only 5 non-Commonwealth players this year in South Africa: 3 GMs, 1 IM and 1 WGM. Presumably they got free entry and so wouldn't affect the viability if missing next year.

Perhaps so, but players from mainland Europe (unable or unwilling to make the expensive trip to South Africa) might well have fancied a summer holiday in Scotland for a big event.

Messages In This Thread