Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Hanley
John,

If I may enter the debate? It is normal when a Director steps down or leaves their post that an announcement is put on the website. I am aware that other Directors had been asked what is happening with this by members and people were confused by the situation. In a statement Mike sent out to half of Scotland, he stated that he was resigning. A statement had to be made to clarify this.

People are divided on what is right here and despite quoting the constitution, it is not clear either. The constitution cannot cover ever eventuality and therefore has to be interpreted by the people who have been entrusted. If we get it wrong, we are answerable to both Council and the AGM, not a very pleasant thought!

The rights and wrongs of this are open to debate by all but Mike has made his position crystal clear here on the noticeboard a few posts up from this one. If someone has not paid their membership in time then they get a 3 month extension, if however they have stated that they are not renewing then is it correct that they get a 3 month extension? They can change their minds but they are then members again! The constitution does not cover this.

Had not Mike said he was not renewing it then the correct decision would be for him to remain on all lists (I need to check out the chaperone one as I thought you did not have to be a member for that one...) and so on.

Mike is a real asset and I hope we can get this all resolved soon and have him back on board driving Junior Chess throughout the country (as well as driving me nuts with some of his ideas!).

I hope I have not muddied the waters!

Getting back to the Scottish now Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"

Messages In This Thread