Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr Congress 2013 Round-up
Rounds 3 and 5 started at the scheduled time.

The start time for round 4 was put back a half hour to accommodate some who were commuting to the event and this did curtail the lunch break for a handful involved in longer games on the Sunday. I was concerned at one point that there might be a problem and it did mean that there was less time than I would probably have liked for the fifth round draw to be made and the between round admin to be carried out.

Working out how to set the silver clocks meant reading the instructions and involved pressing more buttons than when setting the DGT clocks.

There were a few questions from players in the first two rounds but I think everybody adapted.

Overall, from an organisational point of view, I was happy with the introduction of the incremental time control and intend to use them at the South Ayrshire Congress in January and next year's Ayr congress.

However, I have reverted to the two hours for all moves for the Inverness congress in September. The reasoning behind this is that Inverness is a new event and I'm unsure of where the entrants will travel from and how many will be looking to catch public transport home on the Sunday. With the last train to Glasgow being relatively early I have opted for the safety net of finite sessions. I did toy with the idea of three or four rounds with incremental and a finite final round but decided against this in the end. I also looked at reducing the time control to 60 or 75 minutes with 30 second increments, instead of 90 minutes. In the end I refrained from experimenting too much with this new event, although I may consider trying something with a centrally located event next year.

A few players at Ayr commented favourably on the time control and I haven't received any negative feedback.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread