Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best games of the World Champions?
These old Cochrane "Indian" games are indeed of historical interest and tend to be unknown by most. The Indian "style" was noticed in the West and I believe that that's the real reason why the various "Indian" systems that matured into significant weapons in the early 20th century came to be known as such (though this needs checking by an expert in this particular byway of the history of the development of ideas in chess).

I do mention these 19th century "Indian" influences in my chapter on Reti (in my forthcoming "Great Romantics"), who revolutionised our handling of the king's fianchetto for White (particularly) but also for Black (along with many others).

The 19th century is full of such "anticipations". One of the most brilliant was Anderssen's interpretation (for Black) of a range of ...e6 Sicilians. Fischer, as a kid, studied all these early greats and was a great admirer especially of Anderssen and Steinitz. His win in the last game of his 1972 Spassky match derives from Anderssen's handling of the line (which he used most notably three times in his 1861 match against Kolisch). Of his win, Fischer deflected an intended compliment about the originality of his opening play (by Gligoric) with the modestly deadpan ... I got it from Gottschall's 1912 "Anderssen" ... it's the way they used to play in the old days."

Cochrane, a very strong player (with Scottish roots), has always reminded me of von der Lasa, the at least equally gifted Prussian noble, who may have been stronger than Anderssen through most of the 1840s but who turned to the Prussian diplomatic service and in chess to extensive historical and openings analytical writing (e.g. through editing many editions of the classic "Bilguer's" Handbuch).

Beware over-labelling. All of these great players showed great movement in their approach to chess and in their playing styles.

Messages In This Thread