Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
andyburnett Wrote:Not sure I agree at all with your last point there Andrew. The player doesn't specifically 'want' the clock, he more specifically 'needs' the clock to maintain some kind of parity with the new incremental controls. I don't believe there should be some sharing of the cost* except as a last resort, and if we are that short of money we're in trouble!

Although 140 Euros (how do I get a Euro sign?) is a lot for a clock, it would also be used for non-visually impaired players too when not otherwise required according to Stevie, so that brings the cost down to, say, 100 Euros in real terms. I don't think that's a ridiculous figure for CS to invest in order to make things as equitable as possible. Throw in a Braille clock (*Stevie's old one donated to offset the cost of a new one!) and CS now has some equipment to hand for tournament organisers to call on when needed Smile

On another point, I still don't can't figure out why increments would be more difficult for visually impaired players than allegro finishes with time scrambles? :\

Andy,
attempting to answer both your questions.

Alt 0128 produces this Euro symbol €

For a visually handicapped player - recording moves is likely to take up a more significant fraction of the extra 30 seconds awarded per completed move than would be the case for a fully sighted player.
Hence: in a traditional time scramble both players are capable of running out of time; but with incremental timings a fully sighted player will very rarely lose on time.

Messages In This Thread