Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
David,
I am happy to agree to your suggestion. John is deaf/blind so he is a different case anyway.
As for myself, because I can use a talking digital clock that has incremental time controls on it I will be able to play. I am not used to them true, but I will adjust.

The tactile clock statistics you quoted from the BCA are correct but that price of £30 is for BCA members only.
Others would have to pay the full price of £60 The RNIB charged £30 for each clock modification.

Andrew,
DGT the official digital clock supplier to FIDE wanted 25000 Euros just to develop a prototype talking digital chess clock That sort of funding is way outwith the finances of all braille associations. The Spanish Talking Digital clock was 140 Euros, is easy to programme, ie: easily programmed by a blind player themselves Has set controls a digital counter, can programme each side of the clock in a different language if needed. Can also tell you when the batteries are running low. Can also operate as an ordinary digitial clock. Only when you use earphone can you hear the voice. That is good value for 140 Euros not pounds Big Grin
Federations Andrew have a duty to support all players as best they can. FIDE's motto is Gens Una Sumus which means we are one people. The disabled are just as much a part of the chess family as everyone else

Messages In This Thread