Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
I understand that there is a not insignificant cost for players who may have to purchase a talking chess clock themselves (or other equipment) to participate in the event but I fail to see how the equipment organisers provide would be different for these players whether incremental time controls are used or not.
I think it comes down to economics both micro and macro. On an individual scale it’s really a matter of whether the individual can afford the investment and this is a decision which all of us take, regardless of whether we have a disability or not.

Looking at things on a wider scale, the price of digital talking clocks will be decided by the supply and demand for the clock. If all of the world tournaments decided not to use the incremental time control then the talking clocks would remain very expensive. However, if every tournament used incremental controls then the demand for the clock would rise, the manufacturer can produce more and the cost price and hopefully the selling price will come down.

By introducing incremental time controls Prestwick it could be argued that I am at the head of the queue in Scotland in helping to bring the price of such clocks down, in the long term.

Like it or not Steve, incremental time controls are the way forward for all players. Indeed, a look at the first six calendar entries for different countries on the FIDE other tournaments calendar underlines this.

Quote:Australian Open Championships, 2nd Jan to 13th Jan 2013 – 90 minutes for 40 moves, followed by 30 minutes for the remaining moves, with an increment of 30 seconds from move 1.

REGULATIONS 7th HERAKLION CC OPEN “CONCEPT”, 2-6/1/2013 - TIME CONTROL: 90 min for 40 moves + 30min + 30sec per move from the first move.

9e Open international d échecs de Vandoeuvre (France) Cadence : 90 minutes par joueur (+30sec/coup)

1st Winter Sea Deluxe Open in Gabicce Mare, 2nd to 6th January, 2013, in Gabicce Mare, Italy - Open A will be held over 9 rounds of Swiss system; Time control: 90′x40 + 30′ + 30″ from beginning. Top rated are: GM Robert Ruck (Hungary), GM Vladimir Petkov (Bulgaria), GM Sinisa Drazic (Serbia), IM Torstein Bae (Norway), IM Guido Caprio (Italy), GM Goran Kosanovic (Serbia), WIM Bjerke Silje (Norway) - Open B, C and U16 will be held over 7 rounds; Time control: 90′x40 + 15′ + 30″ from beginning.

16. Schachfestival Bad Zwesten 2. Januar – 6. Januar 2013 - Modus: 7 Runden Schweizer System, DZW/ELO-Auswertung, Bedenkzeit 90 Minuten / 40 Züge, 30 Minuten / Rest der Partie + 30 Sekunden pro Zug ab erstem Zug (Fischer Modus)

Schachfestival Basel: Cadence 100 min 40 moves + 30 minutes and 30 seconds per train from start

I'm not sure how far down the list I would have to go to find a non-incremental time control but I would suggest that Scotland is behind everyone else, regarding time increments and that players who might require assistance in some form or another to particpate in an incremental tournament are effectively barring themselves from wider participation in events worldwide by not embracing progress and advances in technology.

Is it really fair to all players to ask them to wait for an incremental time event in Scotland while one or two players delay investing in equipment they require to participate in the way they would like? Especially, when the organisers are willing to help provide an assistant or find an alternative solution for the event.

With specific regard to Prestwick everyone is, as always, welcome and I will do all that I can to assist.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread