Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incremental Times
Under the first suggested time control, current laws mean that players would be required to keep recording their moves. The others use increments of less than 30s and moves do not have to be recorded.

Using any of the shorter increments would seem to mean that a lot of games would not be completely recorded. An often suggested method of improving one's play, is to study one's games, especially the losses. If game records are not complete, what is there to study? (Knowing the suggestion doesn't mean that I follow it anywhere near enough.)

To my mind, game in 30 min + 30s per move would mean getting to move 30 in 45 minutes, and spending the rest of the game on the increment. Does that time control even qualify for a standardplay grading? I thought that a minimum of 60 minutes for 30 moves was required for a game to be standardplay graded.

I already find that 30 moves in 60 minutes + 15 minutes is faster than I would like. Any of the suggested time controls would lead me to consider whether to continue playing at all, as even one 5-6 minute think and you find yourself in time trouble.

I do play allegro chess, and my grade is even lower at that, but I take that even less seriously.

Messages In This Thread