Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol in Chess Clubs
Angus McDonald Wrote:I would never assume that anyone else would wish to play chess with me while I was drinking alcohol. Who would be dictating to whom in a free society?

It depends which way you look at it. I mean if I were playing you and I wanted to drink a pint whilst playing you, I'd assume you wouldn't have an issue with that, and I wouldn't consider it me forcing you to play against me whilst I drink a pint. It's not like I would be forcing you to also drink a pint, against your will. So long as the pint didn't make me drunk to a disruptive level, I don't see why you could have an issue with it? On the other hand if you demanded that I get rid of the pint because it went against your religious beliefs, or just because somehow you objected to me drinking it, then that would be me being dictated to.

My opponent could also object to my clothes, but it doesn't mean I'm going to take them off? =o

Anyway, I agree with you about the parents of juniors being reluctant to take their kids to a club where there were lots of adults drinking pints. I would too (and I don't even have kids). I think the best approach would be to have junior nights at clubs where there was sufficient interest, and such nights are geared towards training and playing against the juniors. As a result of the nature of such a night - alcohol would not be consumed. This way you do not deter the regular adult players who like a pint from coming along, and you supply an environment for juniors to also enjoy and learn Chess.

Messages In This Thread