Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goals for the new season!
Patrick,

It's nice to know you believe our junior internationals should be adequately funded.
It should really be a no brainer for any Government who says they wish to support excellence.
We have after all a 'Curriculum for excellence'

Clearly we havn't got to that point though so that's what needs to change. Going from very little support to adequate support to ensure that a talented player from any background can play for their country.

I will be laying it straight in front of my MP and MSP. I will aim to do this in August. If I get the usual stuff, polite pointing elsewhere to apply for funding, I will demand that they do the process for me. If they state that the process is likely to be unsuccessful I will be demanding that they start campaigning to change this. It would be helpful to know that the full might of Chess Scotland and Chess players are behind this.

It's about fairness. Some families are borrowing substantially to support their children's talent. If we want young Scots to be winners then they require the backing of the country not disinterest or piecemeal support.
Chess Scotland are the hosts of these events next year and we should target full funding for this event and World Youth and Euroyouth Event. It's ridiculous that Scotland is only represented on these International stages because the parents pay for it. I guess the politicians don't care if Scotland are represented or not?
Anyone wishing to lobby their MP by going to one of their constituency surgeries should be unembarassed to say it as it is and make it clear that some young talented Chess Players are forced out of the game because of lack of funding.

Messages In This Thread