Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Junior Age Championships
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:Adam,
Cost is an issue no matter where you play an event. Family holidays tend to happen for a lot of families & therefore combining the two makes it feasible. Food - well you need to eat where ever you are Big Grin

Your idea about making it a residential - do you mean treat it as an International event with Head of delegation, coach & chaperones to the same accommodation ie: hotel, hostel or caravan park ?

Cost is an issue yes, and normally families will accept chess is expensive, but with these sorts of figures, especially with the financial climate like it is, I just don't find it accessible to most families. As for food, yes I get your point, but there is a difference between a cheap family shop, and living out of a hotel room where you have to rely on eating out all the time.

For the residential idea, my idea would be to suggest the reduction of the number of days from 7 to 4, and play 2 games a day, at long FIDE time controls. I have never been, so am only guessing, but I would assume that while playing 1 game a day is great in theory, a lot of games at u12 and that type of level will be over in 30mins or so, especially in early rounds. So, play 2 rounds a day over 4 days, making it an 8 rounder, or 1 on the final day to allow time for getting home. If it was to attract more entries surely the organisers would listen?

I wouldn't treat it exactly as an International event, ie the goal is an individual tournament, so there is no need for a coach. What would be required is organisers and chaperones to make it residential, almost mirroring the format of the Primary Individual (which incidentally I think provides a very good model due to how smoothly it is run). The whole point of this, would be that only the child would need accommodation for 3 or 4 days, at what I would assume was a very reasonable price considering they would be sharing, and the parents would not be required to take time off for this. From what I can see, that would combat the 2 main reasons I can see why people are not entering at the moment.

Obviously it is just an idea for the event, but it could work in one of two ways. Either Scotland could look at a way of doing this, granted it is a lot of effort, but as you pointed out it would be good for fringe players; or even more ideally, the event itself could look at making this an option for the kids that I am sure this effects from southern England/Wales too.

OK, radical I know, so don't shoot me down for the idea! Just a thought for a way round the two major barriers. Tongue

Messages In This Thread