Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Coach wanted
Would anyone be interested in coaching the chess club at Jordanhill School Primary Department (in the West End of Glasgow)? I retired from this at the end of last session, having run it for about 15 years, and sadly, the management have failed to keep it going this term.
I recently received an email from a parent stating:
"I have spoken with other parents and we are keen to keep the club going. I feel I can build a pool of parents who will supervise and manage the kids but what we lack is chess expertise. Would it be a viable option to seek a local chess coach? ... Do you know of anyone we could approach?"
You would not need to be an expert or a registered coach (I am neither), all that is required is enthusiasm, a good understanding of the game, and the ability to teach the children to play by the rules.
In recent years the club has met on Mondays from 3.30 to 4.30pm due to the availability of a suitable room at that time, but I have previously run sessions at the same time on other days and sometimes at lunchtimes also. I think the timing would be negotiable. There would be some remuneration - again negotiable: charging the children would be a new approach as the club has previously been completely free, with equipment and occasional expenses paid for by the school.
I would be happy to provide further information if anyone has any questions. Either post a reply here or send me a private message.

Messages In This Thread