Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email Invites to Tournaments
David Deary Wrote:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:The entry secretary for the Lothians and Edinburgh Congresses is also the CS Membership Secretary (Dick Heathwood), hence why he has the email addresses.

It could be utilised for other events, if the tournament Directors wanted to. Some other events do send emails, such as Dundee. It's really up to each event I think.

In that case can any tournament organisers post if they are aware of this email list as I am curious as to why they don't utilise it. Where is the downside? =|

Also, if it is because Dick is the Entry Secretary and Membership Secretary of Chess Edinburgh and Chess Scotland respectively shouldn't I have been asked first before my information was used?

Well I know where you're coming from... but if you didn't want your email address to be used by Chess Scotland then you should have probably said that (not saying you don't want it to be - just addressing the point). I'd rather run an opt-out system, than one which requires endless administration of gathering permission. Dick always says to people that if they don't want to receive emails anymore then to let him know, I think he writes it in the bottom of the emails he sends.

I'm not sure exactly which distribution list he uses either, because it's not the same list as the members email list, since many non-members also get the emails. I think he has compiled a list over the years of those who have attended the events, and used that. Any other Congress could create a similar list. So from that respect I was maybe mistaken in my initial response as to how he gets the addresses.

Messages In This Thread