Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Championship 2023
The format for this year's event is not ideal. No-one is suggesting that it is.
There were complaints following last year's event that it was too exclusive.
This is seen as a one off. It was either the current format or nothing.

Money is an obvious problem but even if it was less significant than it actually is, finding a venue as Ian has said has been a major headache.

In an ideal world we would have a 10 player all play all and all of Scotland's GMs would fight to get one of the places. The world is far from ideal and we don't have that number of GMs (yet). We need to make compromises. We also need people to actively help the organisation. There has been a long term vacancy for a fund raiser. There has been no-one to fill the position of Scottish Congress Director since I resigned several years ago.

I don't want to stifle any thread here. But lets have a bit of balance. Ian landed the job of Acting Congress Director fairly recently. He has found sponsorship and a venue, albeit for a shorter than usual event. He has done this in a very limited time span and facing ridiculous obstacles.

We have filled a number of the vacancies on Council but there is still room for more volunteers, especially if you actually want to do something to support the organisation.

I expect now to be overwhelmed with a rush of volunteers. One is urgently needed to organise next year's Scottish. Planning for that should be underway now but isn't.

Today we announced that Freddie is an FM. We desperately want him to be an IM (and others). It would be event better if one of his norms came from a Scottish event.

If anyone can provide contacts with potential sponsors I am only too happy to meet with them. Suggesting company names is not sufficient. We need proper contacts with potential sponsors. (We also need someone to do the 'leg work' but I'm happy to do some of that meantime.)

Alex

Messages In This Thread
Scottish Championship 2023 - by Ianbrownlee - 16-04-2023, 10:59 AM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by Ianbrownlee - 05-05-2023, 07:10 PM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by Alex McFarlane - 05-05-2023, 10:59 PM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by Alan Tate - 24-06-2023, 10:42 PM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by Ianbrownlee - 25-06-2023, 08:32 PM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by Alan Tate - 25-06-2023, 10:19 PM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by Ianbrownlee - 30-07-2023, 06:05 PM
RE: Scottish Championship 2023 - by wharkins - 06-08-2023, 10:03 PM