Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGM
There has been much discussion about one of the motions to be discussed but very little on the other.

I am a strong supporter of the Standards Code. Those who are aware of the difficulties I have had with the ECF Board will be aware of my reasons for this support.

I cannot claim that the code is perfect but I have real concerns that the proposed amendments are too drastic and will make the Code effectively toothless.

No-one wants Chess Scotland to be dictating to leagues or congresses but an independent body which looks at genuine concerns (only after local procedures have been exhausted) is a necessary tool.

As has been seen on the grandparents’ thread there is a danger of democracy via the proxy vote being diluted. Unless people try to gather proxy votes for both sides then the matter is won by the more active side rather than the more beneficial.

I would therefore urge people to read ALL motions for the EGM and either turn up and vote or give your proxy to someone. Such proxies can indicate the way you want to vote or give freedom of choice to your nominated proxy. If you are indicating the way you want to vote then you can do so by letting Andy Howie know. This must be done at least 7 days in advance of the meeting.

Since it came into existence I know of no case which the Standards Committee has had to investigate but it is good to know that it is there. I’m not totally sure of the legal position but I have real concerns that the proposals made could cause Chess Scotland’s ability to apply for PGV disclosures to be removed. I do know that despite volunteers being checked for free there can still be an administration fee charged. It costs the ECF £60 to have volunteer arbiters checked.

This issue is too important to let apathy win. Please make sure you exercise your right to vote.
As I am doing the Durham Congress on the day I will be giving my proxy.

Messages In This Thread