Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grandparents rule
How you vote is entirely your call Andy but I will vote against it, in its current form.

I think we are on the edge of a precipice. The watering down of these rules is a very slippery slope. Hypothetically this rule would allow:

A player who has spent their whole life in say, Switzerland, their parents are from Switzerland, one of their grandparents are from Switzerland and their other grandparent was born in Scotland (before moving to Switzerland at age 2) could represent Scotland.

For me, this isn’t right! If you want to play chess for Scotland you should live in Scotland and preferably play some chess in Scotland as well.

I am also curious as to what evidence someone would have to stump up to prove their grandparent was born in Scotland. Is it hearsay or word of mouth? I have seen no detail on having documents verified etc. for proof and until these stipulations are set and the detail is provided this should be kicked into touch.

I am much more in favour of a residency clause rather than “my grandparent was born in Scotland 80 years ago, I don't live in Scotland but I want to play chess for Scotland” I am not comfortable with this at all.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread