Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grandparents rule
Hugh Brechin Wrote:
Quote:But do you not see the argument being made by various people that those who want to play for Scotland should be in some sense part of the Scottish chess scene?
I do Hugh, and I said as such previously. I would like some sort of contribution to the game in this country, be it playing regularly in Congresses, coaching etc., be required to gain selection. I believe it unfair to use this reasoning against allowing grandparentage when those that do meet the present criteria do not have to contribute.
Hugh Brechin Wrote:
Quote:Opening the selection field to what I would guess is a significant number of English (and I imagine possibly also American, etc) players who aren't quite strong enough to represent their country but do have a granny from Glasgow and quite fancy playing some international chess would limit the opportunities for players who support the game in Scotland throughout the season to be selected.
This could well be a problem. However if selection guidelines stipulated that a contribution to the domestic game be essential to being considered for selection then I believe this would at least mitigate this possibility.
Gary McPheator Wrote:Now tell me more of this plan to take money away from Junior Chess......

I am afraid you have taken me too literally. I have ranted on about Junior Chess getting too much money before and the thought of it all being diverted away appealed to what constitutes as my sense of humour.

Messages In This Thread