Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grandparents rule
David Deary Wrote:Gary I have listed several reasons for voting against this proposal as have others. Read the whole topic. (I'm assuming you haven't read it as there are numerous reasons)

There is no need to change the eligibility criteria at all as has been proven on this thread already.
Fundamentally I dont believe you can justify playing for a country that one of your grandparents was born in over 80 years ago. I certainly wouldnt push to play for that country if I was in that situation. I actually find it offensive that anyone would try to.

Why dont we just stop investing in junior chess in Scotland to bring young players through to play for their country and channel the funds into finders fees to recruit some of the 1300+ GMs in the world with the slightest scottish ancestry to play for Scotland. I know its somewhat extreme but hey if the rules allow it lets do it... :\
I know there are reasons why, David, I just don't find them good ones!

I too wouldn't want to represent any country other than that of my birth, most people don't. But I fail to see what is so inherently wrong with someone choosing to or being allowed to do so.

Now tell me more of this plan to take money away from Junior Chess......

Messages In This Thread