Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grandparents rule
Craig,

I have searched the FIDE Handbook and its site without finding any definition of nationality.

The two year rule was initially brought in to tie in with the then FIDE regulations on changing nationality.

As far as I am aware your nationality in FIDE terms is whatever you declare when getting your first (partial) rating. If your first rating appears with the wrong nationality (a very common occurrence) then it can be changed for no cost. Any other change of nationality incurs a cost. This cost varies depending on the strength of the player and how quickly the player wishes full recognition. There is a fee payable to the previous country that the player was affiliated to if it wishes it.
To balance this out a country is allowed to 'deregister' a player. In the past this was used when someone appeared on the list and was unknown in their designated country. Indeed this method helped to spot a rating scam when fictitious players appeared on the list. More recently it has been used by England to 'punish' players who were not members.

In FIDE terms I don't think you have a nationality as we know it more a country you are registered with.

Messages In This Thread