Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOA Congress 25th & 26th Aug 2018
I really enjoyed this tournament. Got three competitive games - I hope the format works out. I suspect you may have to lower it to a 2000 floor as I don't think there are enough active players above 2100 to make it sustainable, especially for the tournaments that are further out. 

From a junior perspective, I think it is actually quite beneficial. Juniors will be motivated to get into the top section. I have noticed a pattern where rating conscious juniors (and adults) enter the open as even if they lose all their matches, their rating does not go down. This results in them playing very negatively and groveling for a draw. It is much better in my opinion for them to play opponents that are of similar strength or slightly stronger where they play for a win. I would suggest the winner (adult or junior) of the U2200 section qualifies for the Championship section next year. This is what is done at the Tata Steel tournament in the Netherlands.   

I hope the championship section brings back the top players to the Scottish congress scene.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BOA Congress 25th & 26th Aug 2018 - by AndrewGreen - 27-08-2018, 01:08 PM