Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East of Scotland – No longer a standalone tournie?
I see the East of Scotland is being combined with Edinburgh and the standalone Championships will not be happening this year.

It’s interesting that those who are challenging the decision of Hamilton having a Stars Barred this year are completely silent about the East of Scotland Championships no longer being a standalone event. I think those criticising the Stars Barred (most of them players from the East too) perhaps need to have a look inwards. ;P

On a more seriousness note it’s not good to see competitors losing a tournament off the calendar. I sincerely hope the decision to no longer run the East of Scotland was communicated with the 59 players who entered last year. In my view they should have received an email/letter directly informing them that it would not be happening. If this hasn't happened, why hasn't it?

Also, the communication to the wider chess community has been abysmal on this I only found out as someone mentioned it in the passing.

I personally think it’s a shame the organisers couldn’t find a way to make the event workable and I’m interested to know why they opted to scrap the tournament rather than change the format. I suspect having a Championship/'Open' of 11 players had something to do with it. Any ideas?

P.S. For those who will mention the WoS being amalgamated into Prestwick. As Prestwick was a new tournament I consider that to be +1 -1 = 0 so it balances out. 8)
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread