Poll: Do you think posters should be identifiable by their username?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.52%
19 65.52%
No
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Username - Discussion
Andy McCulloch Wrote:During the last incarnation of this board it was decided at the AGM that a 'real name' policy be enforced. This was against the wishes of Andy Howie, the admin. At that time I argued against this policy, and was disappointed when it was voted through.

I was even more disappointed when the policy was only partially enforced. Sorry Andy, but your assertion that JR, AWIC and DMB etc. were known to you and therefore acceptable, was a biased decision. Again I argued that if a rule was made it should apply to all, but the rule was not enforced. (never managed to figure out who arf was)

A subsequent justification for this implementation was the position that this put Juniors in. It was suggested that a 'real name' policy would make them vulnerable to online predators. This I found particularly specious when I see what my four offspring, despite warnings, are willing to post on sites such as Facebook.

Basically I would argue that either everybody has to use their real name, a la Andrew McHarg's position, or pseudonyms

Em, no. I was the one who brought the matter to the agm. I am neutral on this and not bothered one way or the other.

The junior thing was in response to parents, note the plural, contacting me.

As for using initials, we agreed to allow as a person can be identified.

As for never being enforced. There was 1 person whom I did not change and she signed her posts with her real name. The 100s of members on the old board with weird names never could post but were being added at a rate that I could not keep up deleting
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"

Messages In This Thread