Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proxy Votes
Andy is trying to be tactful (I think). One potential (and I emphasise potential) problem with the current proxy system is that it can be misused.

If I wanted to introduce a rule which stated that IAs who had controlled in Russia should receive an honorarium of £20000 per year from Chess Scotland then all I would need to do is to obtain approximately 30 proxy votes and it would be passed due to no-one having sought a similar number of proxies to overturn the motion!!!
The current system makes it easy for someone to gather proxies from others and turn up on the day with an overwhelming majority of votes. I do not believe this has ever been done but the potential exists.

It is difficult to see how you can keep the proxy system without overly complicating procedures. A potential method would be to only allow 'postal' votes for proxies ie remove the right to delegate your vote.

All proxies suffer from the problem that the person has not been able to hear the debate taking place at the AGM which might make them change their minds. So if large numbers of proxies are to become the norm then the arguements for and against the motion would need to be circulated well in advance.

Messages In This Thread