Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance fees for our best players
amuir Wrote:I still think that our 60 year olds are comparative winners over our 15 year olds
Our 60 year olds won the Glorney in 1965 and have had a top 10 finish in the European Seniors.
No Glorney wins in 46 years despite £8000 pa on junior chess
When was the last time a junior got a top 10 finish in a european/world junior event ? I believe that Mark Condie, Tim Upton, Paul Motwani and other 40 year old + players have done this
Give me some money for senior chess please

As Alex stated you aren't comparing like for like over the decades since then. Also as Hugh said is this your argument for lowering the funding of junior chess? To me it suggests it needs more support not less. =o

Btw, for the record I think our Seniors do an excellent job and are an asset to our nation. We should endeavour to increase support for Seniors more but not by pulling support from Junior chess. That is just counter productive in my view.

Andy Howie Wrote:Interesting Litmus test in the summer. Alex will no doubt be offering conditions for the Scottish. Will be interesting to see how many titled players take it up.

My thoughts exactly. As there is more funding for the Scottish I hope we see the target of 10 titled players in the Scottish Championships. I would be very disappointed if we didn't achieve it given the work Alex has put in and the very generous donation from our anonymous benefactor.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread