Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance fees for our best players
David D,

Allthough I do agree that Alex, Donald and Andy do a good job there isn't enough money in chess to increase remuneration to officials. Also I don't think the volunteering model is wrong. It becomes wrong when it is the same people that have to do all the tournaments. What is needed is more arbiters. Perhaps some retired chess players who would enjoy rubbing shoulders with GMs and IMs. I still get a kick out of seeing GMs and IMs. I'd volunteer for a week or so of watching how they do it.
Also I don't support £1,000 appearance fees to GMs either. What's offered needs to be proportional to the amount of money around in Scottish Chess and all that money is required to provide. I think GMs need to meet the organiser more than half way here. Recognise the organisers voluntary efforts to provide a quality tournament to keep the profile of Chess in Scotland high and accept a sensible incentive to play and add to the prestige of the tournament which can only be good for Scottish GMs long term.

Mike,
I'm looking at the under 18 open age bracket next year and there are 6 that I would select now! (I'm not a selector though) for those tournaments. Say 3 in Euroyouth and 3 in World Youth. There are a couple of younger age groups where it's similar. Why would you try and restrict this to 5 players for the whole squad?
Also I think the top Scottish player at any age group has the right to represent their country in Euroyouth or World Youth. Just being the best in their country should be enough. Obviously the higher the grade the better but if they are the best and want to go they should go. imho

Messages In This Thread