Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance fees for our best players
Derek
Quote:Mike's son is a J16. David's brother is a J14. Any idea what age group I'd suggest?

My thoughts entirely! :-)

But not quite. I do think that the older juniors / young adults deserve more support than they have had over the years and get relatively ignored: especially those that are not no 1 or 2 in their age group. Apart from Jacqui's excellent weekend I don't think there has been anything run for the older players - certainly not on a regular basis. I know the CS has largely left Jonny to his own devices prior to his trips abroad.

To answer your question: you can not possibly know which of the two players has the most potential, or at least will achieve the most. I would back the player that was willing to work hardest. As I have said in the 'mindset' thread - so many of the 'naturally' gifted players drop up because they simply do not learn the work habit.

My feeling is that we should actually take a long term view and rather than spend resources on sending a few juniors to the Euros/Worlds we should be spending resources on making sure there is a national development scheme in place that ensures that all juniors are getting training and training in the right areas, so that when they do turn up at these events they already know their basic endings and their openings. The work done at these events should be more in the category of revision than anything else.

That is not the same as saying that players do not go, rather a question of what the priority is for CS's resources (and I include in this the over worked director's time).

Messages In This Thread