Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance fees for our best players
My opinion for what its worth:

Money should be invested heavily in Junior chess and in my view the majority of the CS budget should be channeled there for internationals. And heres why I believe that:

Juniors are the players of the future and we should always focus on developing future talent rather than over subsidise our current crop. In a time of scarce resource you need to focus most on what matters most and for me that is junior chess.

Secondly, I am astounded by the lack of involvement our 'top players' have in giving back to the wider chess community and the membership. I was at the Liverpool Quadrangular and was amazed by the time and enthusiasm Mathew Turner put into coaching and going through the games of our juniors. For no renumeration!

If our 'top players' want subsidy then I would prefer to see them doing something to earn it rather than request appearance fees and renumeration for playing for their country and giving nothing back. If top players are to be funded they should make a commitment to give something back.

Ultimately, I believe that CS funds should not be skewed in favour of our top players but to our juniors.

Also as a member of CS I am extremely uncomfortable by the existing level of subsidy provided to top players who don't give anything back. If top players are happy to give back I am happy for there to be subsidy but it should not reduce the junior budget!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread