Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympiad Goals
If Andy B has a spare £10-20k in his budget he can also employ renowned sports psychologist expert Dr Steve Peters (who is well known for working with English football teams, Cycling people and snooker player Ronnie O' Sullivan). If while playing their games the Scotland team are going to be sipping supper high protein healthy energy infused smoothie drinks consisting of cucumber, pineapple, broccoli and the like, that could be a good sponsorship link tie-in. A bit tongue in cheek of course but Robin makes a decent point. There is a certain IM player at my club I have heard talk about mental strength/stamina/fitness many times being important to play chess well, and I quite agree. I should listen more myself as I am shamefully prone to enjoying a nice bottle of sauvignon blanc half way through a weekend congress.

In all serious though, the talk of 10yr plans has to consider the ever sharpening decline of Scottish Chess. As the amateur players (99% of us Andy B estimates) reduce, the CS membership declines, and income reduces. What if any is the Olympiad budget going to be in 10 yrs time? How long is it going to be before players are asked to fund 100% of all expenses on their own? The team at some point will be less about rating/games played and more about who is willing and able to afford to play?

I haven't renewed my CS membership and don't intend to under current climate. With the game in Scotland seemingly doomed on so many levels, I need to be convinced there is a plan to deal with that. It is actually the likes of Robin, myself and the other 99% of amateur players that provide much if not all of the CS income for helping players out with their expenses at international events. When you think of it like that, halting the overall decline of the game and ever reducing number of players must be a priority and the starting point. Pep Guardiola could not produce his majestic results at Man City, if the supporters were not attending and providing the funds. Likewise if the pitch is in tatters and full of holes, the performance is going to be reduced.

Messages In This Thread