Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympiad Goals
You have a point Adam, but if you can't play 15 game in 6 months, how are you going to be in condition to play 9 games in 11 days at a high level?

I gained my FM title by playing 100 games in 5 months Wink financed by a combination of my club sponsoring me for 1 tournament, Friends of Chess for another, working a shitty job and saving to pay for 3 or 4 more...

It's a number which can be discussed, and non-FIDE rated games is obviously an option too, as is for example a full 4NCL season, etc -but the premise just now that you can play a handful of games and then play the Olympiad/Euros at a level matching your rating just isn't happening - we have the results over a decade to prove it.

Some level of commitment should be shown when it's international events- what that level is has yet to be decided, but as you state later in your post: other people hungry for it would be grateful I'm sure.

Online training games is an option. I tried it last year and didn't enjoy it particularly, but it was interesting and can be used to mitigate the costs of real events/games. Still, when you play chess in a tournament it's different.

Messages In This Thread