Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympiad Goals
Quote:Hi Iain, I didn't single you out - John was also included.

I think you got my point and I addressed your comments regarding John. Pedantry not needed.

Quote:Seeing as you pressed me, you played 24 games 2 seasons ago and 14 last season.
No I didn't. I played 29 games last season and 15 this season (14 FIDE rated). Two reasons for fewer games this season, both of which are personal. Besides the point really: I was simply clarifying that I wasn't sitting on my rating. I was making every effort to play when I could despite significant life commitments outside of chess because I love the game. Clearly I'm not the most active player (I've never been a 50 games a year guy) but people who know me better than you do (i.e. at all) would certainly not question my motivation or passion for the game. Playing is one part of it but I actually spent a very large amount of time preparing and training before the Olympiad as my understanding wife can attest to. I had very high hopes for myself and the team going into the event which is what makes is all the more frustrating. You might notice that I rarely post here but to read stuff like:

Quote:Andrew deserves praise for this and frankly showed more heart and fighting spirit than any of the native born Scots. You can't have part-timers on high boards. It sets a bad example to the rest and honestly I found it insulting and discouraging in both Olympiads that I played.

when I and the rest of the team were giving 100 per cent is, to use your word, insulting and I take it as a personal attack because you weren't there and yet are willing to question our fighting spirit. More than half the team were ill during the event (I had food poisoning since the rest day and stopped eating proper food until the final day. Others in the team were also afflicted but I won't name them: that is up to them) but we still did our best. You seem to be equating being in form and playing well with having fighting spirit. Andrew did indeed show great fighting spirit but we all did. For what its worth the opinion of at least two of my team-mates was that my poor form was partly down to over-preparing and expending too much nervous energy before the games. I suppose that's because of my lack of commitment??

Quote:I'm sure you're a nice guy but I've only seen you once at a Scottish tournament, at the Scottish in Edinburgh in 2009.

Whether (or not) I'm a nice guy is not relevant. What is your point? Should I now be penalised for working in England? For (e.g.) entering last year's Scottish and having to withdraw for reasons much more important than chess? For having a personal life which at times in the past has meant that chess has had to take a back seat for a few years (I wasn't really playing much 2010-2011 or most of 2013-2014 in Scotland or anywhere else)? The fact is I'm now back playing and working hard to improve and get the IM title.

Quote:All I ask for is serious pre-tournament preparation, 100% commitment to the team, and a belief that we can win.

Well I tick those boxes, thanks. Btw I do think a some team sessions before team events would be really great. We did this before Turin (the only other Olympiad I played in). You can make such a (constructive) point without assuming that everyone is apathetic, lacking fighting spirit, etc etc.

Quote:Yes, and pre-tournament preparation involved what, exactly... Online blitz?

What?? I can only speak for myself but...no. I do play online blitz but my preparation involved working on my black repertoire and doing exactly the kind of practice/problem solving that Dvoretsky and Yusupov encouraged when they previously visited Scotland (I did this every day in the run up to the Olympiad).

Quote:I'm not saying that our GMs are finished, but they need a serious kick up the ****. If I ever get to the stage where it's about protecting what I have and not even enjoying it, I trust that someone will do the same for me.

I don't know what this sort of comment achieves.

Seriously Alan, whether intentional or not you are being quite offensive to people who gave their all and are feeling disappointed with how things went and I think that it significantly detracts from some of the reasonable points you are making. It's a pity because you are making these kind of remarks about this years team when you weren't there and don't know, when I think we should support and encourage each other as Scottish chess players. Its much more useful and interesting e.g. to discuss Matthew Turner's question about how we can help the next generation that represent the future of Scottish chess. That's a difficult question indeed.

I'm going to bow out of this thread because a long running back-and-worth might detract from the useful discussion that Matthew started so feel free to have the last word. If I think of any constructive suggestions regarding helping future generations/preparation for future team events I'll share them but not in this thread.

Messages In This Thread