Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading local school chess games
Hi Martin,

A simple "ladder" system at school would probably be sufficient. Players in each class or year can only play others within say six places higher or lower on the ladder. Competitions can still take place with players seeded by their ladder position. Do they really need to be graded ? I don't feel they do and at the end of the day is it going to spoil the children's enjoyment of playing chess whether they are officially graded or not?
As a prize for children that do well, free entry into your local LJC or similar organised graded event could be of interest. That's not to say of course that other children can't enter, I want them all to do so!

Turning to the school games "grading cap" . This is a very interesting option that I hadn't considered at all. If you made the cap say 500, that could encourage the best children who attain that to head to their nearest Under 600 section at a local organised junior event.

For years now, despite the Primary Individual being only six games of half hour each or so, it has consistently and accurately identified the best Primary schoolchildren in Scotland, a great many of whom go on to represent their country at International level for years to come. I would urge all children who are offered a place at this top event to try and attend as it's such a fantastic fun social event apart from the chess. I am fairly certain David Congalton will be building it into his future selection plans.

To add to Dougie's post- In my opinion juniors that are connected to organised adult clubs such as Bon Accord, Castlehill or Edinburgh tend to have more accurate grades, perhaps not from a quantity aspect but certainly on the average quality of their opponents. At Primary Individual level these children stand out.

Messages In This Thread