Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Largs Viking Chess Congress
Alex Gillies Wrote:Just like to acknowledge and thank Adam for splitting the prize money, when he did not have to.

I used to think and just accept the tie break systems we use are fair. I now have doubts on them. It takes a big differential in prize money to highlight the randomness and unfairness. You can only beat who is in front of you and if you win all your games : by default this inherently favours the higher graded player as they will normally play higher graded opponents. This affects TPR and sonneborne-berger, although the later adds to the randomness as its more about the opponents opponents and/or random last round draws and byes often on the bottom boards.

Where time allows for titles and trophies I favour 5 minute play offs. If anyone also want to play for the prizemoney that's between the players involved. For me I think prizemoney should be shared.

I totally agree. In Czech they always apportion prizemoney according to tie-breaks. 2 years ago I played 3 IM's (all draws) and 1 GM ( a win!) and lost out on 1st place to an IM rated 200 points above me because his first 3 rounds were played against higher (and better scoring) opposition Sad This has happened several times to me over here.

If there must be a tiebreak it should be based on +/- difference between TPR and rating (unless there's a problem with that I haven't spotted?)

Messages In This Thread