Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of A 5 Year plan
Mike Scott Wrote:You certainly put a lot of hard work and time as IJD - and we remain grateful for the chances this gave Jonny -, and as part of the SJC organising events, but I am not sure exactly what initiatives and actions as IJD you are referring to that would have contributed to the claimed improvements amongst the lower rated juniors who would never attend an international event.

Mike,
returning to the second half of your post from earlier today.

It was never my policy to publish all the initiatives and actions that were underway. But since you ask here is a partial listing.

Kirkhill School, developed with Jacqui's help from a brand new school club into national champions at P5 and P7 ages. Three of those Kirkhill players were amongst the 26 competing in Liverpool last weekend.

Much greater representation in World and Euros in the youngest age groups. This results in greater aspirations for their peer group one hopes and the increase in their playing strength rubs off on their opponents on their return. This being the model used at Kirkhill -of course not all the Kirkhill players were individually coached by me.

Coaching arranged for most of the younger international debutants ahead of the event. Frequently done by me.

For the World/Euro events that I attended I functioned as the second coach.

Principal coach for those was Alan Tate, continuity is a good thing here.

For Glorney events for 2 of the previous 3 years our main coach was GM Matthew Turner, in my view the best coach resident in England but also a long time paid up member of Chess Scotland. Here too continuity is good and I know Matthew was disappointed at not making the Dublin Glorney event this summer year.
In the absence of Matthew in Dublin three of our best young coaches took his place, Andrew Green, Calum MacQueen & Chris MacDonald. This was Andrew's 2nd year as he also coached at the 2010 event in Wales along with David Oswald.

A significant number of players I coached when weak players of say 500 grade or less have reached international standard. I'm not naming them here. But I calculate 50% have already played in Liverpool Quadrangular teams.

From the IJD budget - supported by sponsorship arranged by Angus - many of the elite juniors got into online chess for the first time.

On another occasion when the budget approached the "use it or lose it" stage all U12 representatives selected to play for Scotland received a free chess book - often doubling the size of their chess library. If they were not playing that year's Edinburgh congress the book turned up in the post - preceded by an e mail.

As you know from private correspondence I am not heading up an U12 elite squad as implied in the agm notes.

However, Paul MacDonald, the current IJD director has had the good sense and foresight to carry out the key part of my strategy. He has organised for the best of my pupils to receive on line coaching from one of the coaches on the short list I prepared for him.

Messages In This Thread