Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAGNUS CARLSEN ON BBC’S ‘ONE SHOW’ TONIGHT
A little surprised at some of the slightly negative comment above. Chess (like almost everything else)simply needs the media. It's not the other way around.

I found the piece, by the way, quite interesting and the speed game exceptionally well-staged, and I feel sure that it will have gone down extremely well with an enormous audience who will frankly have been amazed to see that chess has a 24 year-old super-star as world champion, who has modelled for a top international brand and mingled with celebs and stars.

What's not to like? Chess desperately needs more such exposure.

This is, moreover, at a time, when I have just been informed that The Herald has finally axed its chess column, ending a distinguished history that stretches back to the later decades of the 19th century and the era of such luminaries as the then chess-internationally recognised, Sheriff Spens. We no longer have a chess column in any mainstream Scottish newspaper (discounting the likes of Ray Keene, in the 'Scottish' edition of The Times).

How do we promote the game in Scotland without the media?

Rather than quibble with the BBC about presentation to an audience that they clearly pitch to well (you can rarely argue with the editorial judgments of journalists who can reach '4-6 million' audiences every day of the week), drop a line of complaint to The Herald (Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday et al). Sell our Scottish game!

Messages In This Thread