Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidates for President
I am posting here a statement regarding the forthcoming President Vote at the AGM, to complement the manifesto posted by Ian.

I will be more than happy to discuss this position at the AGM, which I believe is the appropriate arena for this type of discussion.

What do I bring to Chess Scotland?

An open mind, and a firm commitment to the constitution of Chess Scotland.

A resolve to bring together the differing interests of any factions within CS, so that everyone works together for the common good.

A background in chess organisation, such as Dunfermline club secretary, Central Chess League President/Vice President, CS council member, CS sub-committee member, instrumental in some parts of the constitution development within the Constitution Working Party. I have been a member of CS (formerly SCA) for over 40 years so am very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the organisation.

High level of proficiency in ICT, a skill set which will be needed if we are to use technology improve communication and to help democratise Chess Scotland.

A professional background at senior level in industry. Managing and working on developing new technologies both in hardware and software at company level and involvement in chairing international meetings.

As President my main goals would be:

• promote ways of involving a greater part of the membership, not only at General Meetings but also in the more routine functions of CS.
• lead the complete management board into taking a more visible, accountable and pro-active part in CS, not just a few overworked individuals working in isolation. Within this to look at ways to make decisions and actions more transparent with better communication to the membership.
• develop strategies to encourage clubs, league, affiliates and individuals (young and old) to become members of CS.
• encourage the Management Board to develop both short- and long-term goals, visible to and supported by the membership. Be a visible and approachable President not only for all the membership but also external organisations, be it for fund raising, sponsorship or simply promoting CS publically.

In terms of the long-term future of chess in Scotland we need to set up a task force to investigate the practicality of bringing initiatives such as the “Chess in Schools” into Scottish schools and try to find a means to develop this into a working enterprise, or something equally suitable, for the CS environment
– just don’t ask me how or what yet!

Messages In This Thread