Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidates for President
Hi Derek

Derek Howie Wrote:. What do you plan to do to promote junior chess further?2. What are your plans for improving CS communication?3. What steps would you take to try and heal some of the rifts within chess in Scotland that have occurred over the past few years?4. What other improvements would you like to make to CS?

1. I believe all the existing junior organisations both within and outside CS have a part to play and as far as primary schools are concerned , as someone said to me yesterday, we're not in a bad place on this one. However I believe that secondary schools could be massively improved and as I've stated below, this has to come from national level downwards with a view to get chess clubs and schools connected. I've always said regional ambassadors for Chess Scotland is the key to do this, by promoting communication, whether as regional and national level. I passionately believe this can be done.

2. Easy one this. Get out and about and talk to local clubs and regional leagues and get things done. Not just the President although I accept its mainly his responsibility. Communication is the main weapon against apathy and I want to declare war on apathy.

3. Not so easy this one but still doable. Bring everything and everyone to the table and try and sort it out. A lot of people have given up on this, a lot of people. I'm not one of them and I will continually try, please bear with me. At the end of the day however Chess Scotland is the authority in Scotland and must be respected and its rules and regulations adhered to. We all have to move on else the only people that will lose out are the chess players who want to play without the politics that can manifest itself.

4. Communication is the key to everything, so that has to be improved. I've already hinted at regional ambassadors, one or two from each regional who in turn talk to their fellow members and exchange ideas. I would also like to see a more standardised coaching structure with a common syllabus for teaching and properly funded. Yesterday I heard a cracking idea from a Chess Scotland official about organising teaching sessions for coaches and getting serious funding from it (from the regional authorities?? ) Jeely piece time ( I can get a jeely piece from anyone )
Further on funding, I would think that as a national body and as part of FIDE, funding is not out of our reach. Coaching is one area, disability funding is another. I would also like to acknowledge the funding already appropriated from existing CS Directors and officers and thank them for their efforts
Finally I believe we can increase our memberships both by tapping into resources such as online chess, and making a concerted efforts into organisations such as the RNIB. I've already made approaches into out existing affiliated disabled organisations and I firmly believe with a combined effort of our members we can nearly double our CS membership over the next three years.

Here is my manifesto which I've sent out to interested parties
1. Get everyone working together which I hope to kick off by trying to get as wide ranging group of people to work together in various posts. Try and get a more positive ambiance and promote constructive ideas
2. Get the secondary schools connecting to Chess Scotland at national level, ideally for each school(authority|) to get a regional point of contact
3. Help organise the junior environment by promoting junior chess at all levels and engaging existing organisations to achieve that goal under CS rules and regulations
4. Organise serious sponsorship for Chess Scotland , already making a wee bit of progress on that one
5. Communicate and encourage CS membership for existing online chess clubs through organised sites such as chess.com
6. Encourage grass roots involvement by arranging visits with local chess clubs
7. Supporting the initiative of our existing directors with a supportive hands on approach
8. Establish communication with disabled organisations and with our affiliate members such as the Braille Chess Association

I would also like to point out that I would like to talk to anyone and discuss these points with any interested parties and would encourage as many members as possible to come to the AGM so that we can all discuss the future of CS and what we can all do to help.

Messages In This Thread